Monday, December 26, 2016

Striping, with a twist


The Zentangle tangle Striping isn't simply any old stripes. It's a method of placing striped sections beside each other for interesting effects. Sandy Bartholomew, CZT, offers simple step-outs for Striping on her blog here. One key, of course, is the pencil string; it just doesn't have the same effect if the (guide)lines are in pen. Here is an example of striping, pure and simple, albeit in brown on a Renaissance tile.

In a home decor flyer a while ago, I noticed a vase with some twisted stripes. Here's the photo torn from the flyer, and the first tile I did trying this twisted effect.

You may want to start with the same 'S' shape you would use for Tidings.
Don't.
Instead, draw two lines, each with one droplet shape at the end, going in opposite directions. I'm using a five-sided string, but this can be done in a variety of shapes.

You want a white stripe immediately next to the 'line and droplet' so you need an ODD number of stripes going through the middle, between the lines. To ensure that, make a series of dots, an EVEN number of dots, between the lines.

Next, draw a series of Auras beside each line and around the droplet, passing through each dot. The width of the stripe around the end of the droplet can be wider than the stripes through the middle. Splay the lines out at the end away from the droplet. Extend the lines to the edge of your string.

Follow the curves of the lines you've drawn and add more lines. You can do this as I show below, by adding a line at each side, filling around the droplet with stripes, and adding stripes into the triangle point. OR, a simpler method is to fill the entire two sides with lines meeting in the corner near the droplet, as you would draw Munchin.

Making sure you leave the stripes beside the droplets white, fill alternate stripes black. Don't forget to shade it (I didn't, below.). And voilà!

In the tile below, I began with a 'leaky pen border' and did the twisted Striping in the center, adjusting it as it met the marks at the border.

It can be lovely in browns or in color, too. And no one said you're limited to one twist!
In the first tile below, I used - I think - five different brown pens plus white, and three or four brown colored pencils.
The second began with an orange paint spill. Then I used yellow, orange, red, brown, and sepia pens and three or four colored pencils.

Here is some twisted Striping along with other bold black-and white tangles:
Tangles: Black Pearlz, Bunzo, Striping with a twist, Moving Day, Pearlz, Zonked
Have fun!

28 comments:

  1. wicked! the brown and orange version remind me of pulled taffy. yummy design!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am in love with this entire page Margaret!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful! It's like a remix of Sand Swirl and Striping. :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Margaret, this post is so stunning, thank you for that inspitation! I am going to start it just TODAY!
    My favourite is the tile with the "leaky pen" border, and the last three are just amazingly deep!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think, if I had to choose, that one would be my favourite too.

      Delete
  5. Oh Margaret, this is just stunning! Thank you for posting the tutorial! I'm grabbing my sketchbook now! (I should be sleeping...)😏

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you very much for sharing Margaret, I really look forward to trying this out!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank´s for sharing this process! It is very helpful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks challenging and fun. Two reasons to try it. Thanks again, Margaret and again and again...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wonderful, Margaret! Can't wait to try this!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the lesson. I'm knocked out by this series. Striping on Steroids!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Fabulous instructions! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love all your works. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Only you could come up with this, Margaret! Thank you, it's such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Can't wait to try. I remember the flyer post. So clever of you to bring it to the next level, and then some. Thank you for all your inspiring work!

    ReplyDelete
  16. This is amazing Margaret! Love it! It almost seems like it should be its own tangle! Can hardly wait to play with it. Every tile is so Unique... they aerial all my favourites!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Margaret, your brilliance with tangles always amazes me. Thank you for sharing and inspiring us all.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hello Margaret, many thanks for showing us this wonderful striping art :-) I tried it and I really loved to do this! Thanks a lot and greetings from germany, Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know how time and work it takes to be a good teacher. Thanks so much for posting such clear and plain instructions, Margaret. It's really fun to attempt a design that is pretty much guaranteed to work out, more or less, and then to go from there.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Discovered this the other day on Pinterest, Margaret, and just had to try it! Here's my effort: http://shoshiplatypus.blogspot.co.uk/2017/10/zentanglegold-fold.html
    Thanks for sharing your wonderful skill at Zentangle - you are truly amazing and inspiring!!

    Shoshi

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love this design!! Just to be clear.. is this still considered striping or a new tangle called "twist"?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is not a new tangle called Twist. To me it's a variation of Striping - with a twist.

      Delete
  22. Wow! Love this Margaret. Fascinataing, bold and flowy all at the same time. Thank you, you are so clever. :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. This is stunning in all of its forms! It's always such a joy & inspiration to see your treatment of every tangle pattern. You have such a creative mind, Margaret, & you are so generous to share your knowledge. Thank You!

    ReplyDelete