Monday, April 23, 2018

Floating Cubine

I like the impression of depth that can be achieved with some tangles and Cubine is a great example. It's like looking through little windows, or a sectioned box. But instead of doing Cubine in the classic square grid, you can use a single fragment of Cubine and place it in an empty space on your tile. I also recently referred to this as 'sprinkled' Cubines.

Here's an example of a floating Cubine. There are two Cubine fragments side-by-side creating 'holes', but the floating Cubine looks as if there's another hole through the main white section.
Tangles: Beadlines, Cubine, Knase, 'Nzeppel, Zonked.
Here's another example, amongst a lot of 'normal' Cubine fragments. (The floating one is off on the right side.)
In a Kitchen Table Tangles episode on the Zentangle Mosaic app Rick demonstrated a Cadent variation which quite enchanted me. The square shapes in the resulting pattern struck me as possible floating Cubine fragments so I did that in this tile. Here they are more "sprinkled". :)
Tangles: Cadent, Cubine, Pearlz
Finally, here's a tan tile just for something different. There are four floating Cubines here, well, actually three and a half.
Tangles: Apacore, Black Pearlz, Crescent Moon,
Cubine, Elirob, Tipple.
More ideas for variations of Cubine are in my "And then some" blog post here.

7 comments:

  1. I'm always fascinated with your take on various tangles. I love how you bend, mold, manipulate, truncate and morph them into newness! What a creative mind ... Floating Cubine is a marvelous example. Your Cubine and Then Some post is one of my all-time favorites - chock full of inventive variations ... and now here's ANOTHER! Bravo!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for giving us so much inspiration, this is a wonderful post!
    Floating Cubine looks great.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ria! I've just seen Ilac on tanglepatterns and hope to try it soon.

      Delete
  3. Awesomeness abounds! I can't wait to play with this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awesomeness abounds! I can't wait to play with this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is fabulous Margaret! I always love seeing your design takes on tangles. And I especially love how you inspire me to take risks and think outside the box!

    ReplyDelete